Friday, January 29, 2010

The Road Goes Ever On and On -- To California

I forgot to mention that I finally made it to Road to California on Sunday, the last day of the show. And I had only four hours in which to see all of the quilts.

As usual, it was a fantastic show. My favorite quilt was "Tribute To Tolkien" by Sue McCarty. This picture doesn't do justice to it. (You can see a somewhat larger and more detailed one here. And if you click on it, you'll get an even closer view. ) The designs were drawn freehand on the black background fabric, and the metallic and polyester thread painting is stunning. In the photo you can just make out the Black Riders galloping across the bottom border. But what you can't see is Gollum clambering up the rocky slope to the left. On the left side of the quilt you can probably make out a golden eagle about to land on a tree. But in person you will notice (though not immediately) that the tree has a subtle face -- it's actually an Ent. How I wish my Mythie friends could have seen this. It was breathtaking!

I didn't expect to have time to shop the vendors, but at the last minute I bought some fat quarters: purples, blacks and neutrals. They were marked down to $1.50 each and can be used in all three of my current projects.

Yes, I am currently working on three quilts. More on that next time.

No comments: