Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Exquisite Dresden Plate

Here's the quilt whose discovery I described in yesterday's post. If you click on it, you'll get a closer view of the quilting. Such tiny stitches, and so evenly spaced!

I'm no expert, but I think the fabrics are mostly from the 1940s. The applique is very nicely done. The quilt lies smooth and flat and has no stains or tears. In fact, it shows almost no signs of use. Perhaps it was a favorite quilt, stored away except on special occasions. I tend to think it was washed at least once because of its slightly crinkled look. But perhaps not -- you can still see penciled outlines under some of the quilting.

Here's a close-up of one of the plates so you can see the sorts of prints the quilter used. And another close-up of the back showing the lovely hand quilting. (As before, click on the photo for a closer look.) This quilt is just large enough to use on my twin bed. But if I put it there, I'm going to have to keep my bedroom door closed. Otherwise Priscilla-the-cat is going to hop up and start kneading little tiny pin pricks into it. Not to mention shedding cat fur shadows on it.
Tomorrow: Curved Piecing Madness!









1 comment:

Amanda said...

That is such a pretty quilt - I agree with you about the material looking 40s. I wish I could hand quilt with such tiny even stitches. We have a similar problem with our Rosie, who seems to moult all year round. Unfortunately, living in an old house very few of the doors shut properly, so it's no easy job to keep her our.