Wednesday, March 5, 2008
What Was I Thinking?
About 20 years ago I began making a redwork baby quilt. The embroidery pattern was from Better Homes & Gardens. My project has twelve cats embroidered on a large piece of unbleached muslin. The pattern originally called for a faux sashing to be made by sewing pieces of green bias tape as a lattice between the cats. I embroidered the cats using a chain stitch in red perle cotton. I did an outline (or stem) stitch in black floss for their eyes and whiskers. The faces were kind of tedious, so the project has been in my drawer for a very long time. But recently I pulled it out and finished those ancient cats. I was thinking it might be a nice gift for one of my granddaughters -- and appropriate since I originally started the project for her father!
I've decided to abandon the green bias tape in favor of cutting the cats into separate blocks and sashing them with red '30s repro prints.
But look at what I inadvertently did: When I embroidered the whiskers I absentmindedly put them behind the cats' smiles rather than in from of them! Perhaps they are relatives of the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland.