I've been experimenting with different kinds of machine-sewn bindings lately because a problem with my hands which prevents me from doing much handwork. If I were making larger quilts that really "matter," I think I would would have stuck with my old machine binding technique. But with baby quilts I feel a liberating permission to experiment because I haven't invested that much time or fabric in the project, and the end user will be too young to be critical of my work.
So I have learned several new ways to apply binding by machine, some of which I like better than my previous tried and true method. And I now have a more versitile binding repetoire at my command and can choose the technique best suited to the construction details of a particular quilt.
I recently stumbled upon Michelle's Romantic Tangle which features a "Let's Make Baby Quilts" link-up every Friday. In the sidebar is a link of baby quilt tutorials which I consulted when I decided to make some baby quilts for our church's October Festival last year. This one, Christopher, is composed of one quilt block enlarged to baby-quilt size. I love that idea and look forward to trying it out with other traditional blocks.
Normally, I choose my own colors, but when I saw Michelle's photo, it reminded me of a particular fabric in my stash of which I have a full bolt. As it turns out, this quilt did not sell. My mom was delighted because it happens to match her dining room, so I let her have the quilt for her table. Here is a picture of it in its new home.
|Normally she keeps clear plastic over it to protect it from food spills.|