Monday, October 3, 2011

Crumb Quilt-Along #4

This week we are doing Nine Patches and Four Patches. (You can see all of the steps here at Jo's Country Junction.) Usually, I can't get to my crumb project until Friday, my day off. This week I had to work on Friday, so I didn't actually sit down at the sewing machine until Sunday evening.


Fortunately, I had quite a few trimmings left from previous projects which  I thought would give me a head start on this week's blocks. Unfortunately, I was half asleep.


I'm not very satisfied with this little Nine Patch. I surrounded it with precut half-square triangles. It just looks blah. I think that the value of the inner triangles is too close to the value of the outer ones.


This little four patch is even more disappointing. Not enough contrast, I think. I put the pink half-border  on in an effort to perk it up a bit. I think I'll have to make a few more Four and Nine Patch based blocks just to prove to myself that I can do it

5 comments:

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I think your blocks will work great... remember, you'll surround the 6" blocks with more sashing. This would be the chance to make the colors "pop" a bit more if that's what you want!

Linda

Catholic Bibliophagist said...

Thanks for the encouragement.

Coloradolady said...

I think they look good too! I have spent most of the day redoing star blocks that we first started with. I just did not like how they looked, but had made way too many. So, I took about half out and started more....and I am liking it better. If you are going to sash the blocks, these will be just fine I think. But....are we sashing?? I am not sure what I am doing...can you tell?!?

Michele, a distracted quilter said...

I think your blocks look great. Wait til you put them all together and stand back to view the bigger picture. So how's the big stash reorg going? When you didn't post for a couple of days, I worried you might be under a toppled stack of fabric.

Jo said...

I think you blocks are looking just fine. I try to add triangles around the outside the are all the same color...then add the unmatched stuff around that. I think it frames the block. If I get to a block that's not my favorite, I just keep sewing. Once the blocks are all together, those not so favorites make the the favorite blocks POP!!