Friday, September 23, 2011

Crumb Quilt-Along #3: Hearts and Stars

I worked more hours than usual this week, so Friday was my first opportunity to sit down with step 3 of "Crumb Along With Me" from Jo's Country Junction. Jo provided her own tutorial and also linked to Bonnie Hunter's instructions for making Maverick Stars. I decided to follow Bonnie's method, but I used 2 inch squares for the background blocks instead of 2.5." Then I added some leftover strips from my scrap drawer to bring the block up to 6 inches unfinished.


I was very pleased with the way this one came out. Small is always cute.

I had a little more trouble with the heart. I was using Bonnie's method for that too, which calls for piecing each half of the star separately and then joining them with a seam down the middle. My first mistake was making two left sides for the heart. But I just made a new right side out of a different fabric, and I now think that the heart looks better than if it had been all the same color.


However, I think I will go back and try out Jo's instructions now. Because you can't have two many piecing techniques under your belt -- right?

By the way, I am charmed to discover that that Chicky Quilts used the same pink kitty fabric for her heart that I did. And if you scroll down to the close up view of her block, that green ivy print in the corner is also in my stash!

8 comments:

Michele, a distracted quilter said...

Those are some pretty nice blocks. I think I'll try piecing a few more.

Béa said...

Both blocks are very nice, I too used Bonnie's technique !

Catholic Bibliophagist said...

Thank you, ladies. These blocks are fun to make, but they certainly take me a long time to make. Do the rest of you find that to be so, or is it just me?

Charity said...

Your stars look great!

Laurina said...

Love your heart, especially since I made one with the exact cat print - great minds think alike :-)

Coloradolady said...

I love the heart! All the prints are really cute!!

Jo said...

I too have enjoyed seeing what fabrics everyone else has that I happen to have a scrap of too. They are looking good...and I also made two of the same side making the hearts Bonnie's way. That's why I started making them with the flying geese. :)

Catholic Bibliophagist said...

Jo,

Yes, I'm planning to also make some hearts with the flying geese too.

And in the spirit of looking at the glass as half full, I'm just going to consider that extra half heart as a head start for another heart block.