Sunday, March 7, 2010

Thrift Store Patterns


A couple days ago my mom and I visited a new thrift store. I was on the look-out for vintage patterns but did not find any in my size. (I don't know how to grade patterns from one size to another. I envy people who do.) But I did buy three patterns from the '80s and '90s. (No, I don't consider those vintage. Good heaven's, I feel funny when other online pattern collectors refer to patterns from the '70s as vintage! After all, I was an adult then!)

The first was McCall's 7910 from the big-shouldered '80s. But that's okay because a size 12 would be way too big for me on top, so I have no plans to make the jacket. However, the skirt would probably fit, and that's the part I'm interested in. I like those soft pleats and it has side seam pockets, a waistband, and a side opening. (Women's clothing suffers from a lack of pockets.)



The second was Simplicity 8071 which is a multi-sized (6, 8, & 10) dress or jumper. I'd like some work dresses for around the house: something simple, durable, and easy to wear. This one doesn't have any darts so it might look kind of baggy on me. But I thought it might be kind of fun to experiment with it. And since these patterns were only ten cents apiece, I'm willing to take a chance. (Last time I had a 50% off coupon at JoAnn's I bought a bolt of muslin just for trying out and fitting patterns.)


The third was a children's robe pattern, Simplicity 8090, which will probably fit one of my grandchildren. I have some pink chenille-like fabric which was given to me and I think it might make a nice robe. And if it doesn't, well, I won't have lost anything but my time. Ditto for the other two patterns; I have stash fabric that would suit them too.

Now to find the time for garment sewing! And I mustn't neglect Bricks & Stepping Stones. Fillius's birthday is coming up in May.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Hi there!

You mentioned in your post that you wish you knew how to grade your patterns so you can work with a wider array. You may want to check this tutorial out: http://www.ehow.com/how_5177814_resize-sewing-pattern.html

The author of the tutorial is from Sensibility.com and is a wonderful teacher. I haven't tried resizing/grading myself but I am planning on sitting down and following the steps very soon! Because if I do figure out this technique I have decades worth of patterns at my fingertips and THAT is a very motivating thought! :) Best of luck to you.

In Christ,
Rebekah
http://www.artandneedlework.blogspot.com

Catholic Bibliophagist said...

Why, thank you! I've bookmarked it so that I can go back and study it more closely as soon as I get a little more breathing space.

What lovely patterns are on the Sense & Sensibility site! I've fallen in love with the Edwardian apron.

--C.B.